Thursday, January 30, 2014

Day 6 - Playoffs & consolation games

The morning run was full of surprise!  The temperature at 40 degrees, the wind whipping, and the slight rain coming down - was appropriate for the mood of Team Vaughan.

Weather - 54 degrees, windy & raining

The morning announcements were conducted by Steve Blass.  The usual rips on people for doing things of interest.  Calling out coaches for getting base runners doubled off of third base.  Room mates forgetting to flush before their room mate used the bathroom.  The golden rope went to Jim Gentile, who is one the nicest players in camp.  He is also a very good ball player.  He pitches and hits with exceptional power.  He went 5 for 7 in his ball game.

Steve Blass' Team, a team we spanked - beat the team that beat us yesterday.  The pinch running technique used against us yesterday, was not employed today, imagine that?  I don't know what the final score was.  I did get a minute with Steve to discuss my extreme disappointment in missing the playoffs and how it was done.  He thanked me for attending camp and swallowing the bitter pill.

Bruce Kison - Lee Lacy's Team, the team we spanked in McKechnie Field, also won.  While watching their game, Lee came over to me with a big smile, long laugh, patted me on the back and said, "we are so glad not to be playing against you anymore!"  I also don't know their final score, as it was so cold, my knees couldn't take the standing around.

We won the consolation game against Matt's team 8-4.  I went 1 for 2.  I was late for the game, missing the 1st inning, as Rennie & I were eating lunch.  I asked Rennie what time was game time, he said 1:30 pm.  So as he & I were walking to the field, he looked up and said, "they started already!"  Seems an announcement was made that the afternoon games would start at 1:15 pm.  The way our team feels - whatever...

Matt had a sweet hit to left field.  He also picked off one of our runners at first base, who fell to sleep after a pitch was made.  The umpire called him safe, but he was clearly out.  Great throw Matt!

Tomorrow the weather is supposed to be better, so we will play the Oriole campers.  I will be on a team that stays in Bradenton, again due to our being bounced from the playoffs.  The championship game is tomorrow, during the day, due to closing ceremonies being tomorrow night.

Last entry tomorrow night.

Playoff photos of the championship game - slightly cold & rainy.  Too bad the game was played on Field #3 at Pirate City instead of at the Stadium. The highlight was doing play-by-play from a picnic table above the field, with Marty Kirsch (Harry Carey) & James Steigerwald (Bob Uecker or whomever he wanted to impersonate!).  Best part was "singing take me out to the ballgame" - what a riot!



No comments:

Post a Comment