Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Day 4 - Playing at McKechnie (Pirates minor league field)





Today was the day every camper dreams about.  The sun came up without a cloud in the sky.  Glorious.  The reason why spring training is held in Florida & Arizona.  Summer in the middle of Pittsburgh winter.

Weather - 75 degrees, sunny.

The morning announcements were cut short, due to the shuttles having to take players to McKechnie Field, about a 15 minute drive through some run down neighborhoods.  There is an orange grove just south of the Pirate City complex (Mixons) which everyone says is a can't miss destination. They have orange/vanilla twist ice cream, which everyone raves about. Might try some tomorrow as rain is expected - again...

On a positive note, I did not receive any fines at the morning announcements.  Whew!

We had the last game today 3:30 pm start.  In the battle of two undefeated teams, we beat them 12-3.  A real team victory.  Dave Miller doubled in the second inning, as I approached the batters box, the other team executed a hidden ball trick.  Really?  Needless to say I was slightly more than upset.  I said it was bush league & bullbleep.  What is upsetting is the manner in which the rules are explained, that you can take a fixed lead off to the grass cut-outs.  Pick off plays are allowed, but this rule flaws the fundamental principles of good base running - staying on the base until the pitcher is on the rubber.  We finished the inning 1-2-3.  Upon returning to the bench, I gathered the team, explained how we would run bases the balance of the game and how this should fire all of us up!  Then got in the batters box and beat out a ground ball to the shortstop.  By the end of the inning we had a 2-0 lead.  I was asked to pitch, though I didn't really want to.  Started out a little nervous and couldn't see the target as the sun was going down over the pavilion behind home plate.  I couldn't get my hat just right, with the glasses.  Rennie Stennett came to the mound and got me to just relax & throw strikes.  I escaped the inning by cutting off a throw to the plate, then turning and throwing out the runner who rounded third too wide!  Awesome, nice tag by Thomas Brooks (outstanding baseball player).  The next two innings, just fastballs - great defense behind me, plus a couple of strikeouts.

Rennie Stennet made an adjustment in my swing, after I took a stinger in the thumb region.  Felt weird, but when contact was made - Kaboom.  I got a double on my next at bat that drove in 2 runs, Thomas, Ted, & Clyde followed with solid hits - the rout was on!  Just goes to show that poor sportsmanship can often backfire - they should have never did the hidden ball trick!

This game was considered a TV game, meaning it goes onto the camp DVD.  Joe K, the live host from Pittsburgh, interviewed Rich (starting pitcher) Clyde (previous camper who drove in big runs with two outs) and myself (camp rookie).  It was quite a thrill.

Once finished, we returned to Pirate City.  The training methods used to keep a pitching arm in shape is awesome.  They bundle you up in ice for 15 minutes.  Makes your arm feel great when they take the rap off.

I was late for dinner & the autograph session, due to the training room (yes I did visit them!)  Got the leftover food.  I did get all the autographs I wanted.  The Fantasy Camp jersey is impressive.  Only Edgar (assistant coach) is missing - will see him tomorrow.

We also got bats today.  Most people had the pros sign theirs.  Since we get a ball with all their autographs - I am having all my team mates sign mine.

Game #5 is against a 1 loss team, Game #6 is against an undefeated team, but they play the team we just beat - we could use some help.  But we control our own fate.  Team playing loose and just enjoying the moment.  Great bunch of people.

The photos taken by the professional photographers are off the chart, plenty of action shots - they are great at what they do.

We are taking our coaching staff to dinner, on the Gulf, at a restaurant called Pier 21.  Omar Moreno likes the place, it sits right on the water.

Matt's team continues to have their challenges.  They were beaten 18 - 5.  They continue to have pitching problems.  Matt's toe injury has made his camp somewhat disappointing.  However, he is looking for the positives and there are many.  The greatest one being, he is playing baseball on grass that is so nice - you could sleep on it!  These fields are so sweet, it is like playing on carpet, never a bad hop...

This is enough for today - I'm a little tired and the 5:00 am run will come early tomorrow....









3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're having a good time, I'm jealous that you meet Rennie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole experience sounds awesome Tom. Sounds like your making the most of it, I had no doubt you would. All your updates are great. How do you find time to play ball with all the blogging? Ha Ha. Keep em comin as you have me on the edge of my seat wondering how today's game went. Thanks for sending the blogsite and good luck tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uncle Tom, sounds like one hell of a camp! Glad to hear you are having a good time down there playing ball. Reading all of your blogs have been very exciting and been looking forward to reading what you and your team have done day by day. Wish you the best of luck down there, can't wait to hear about the experience next time I see you in person.

    ReplyDelete