Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Hard work beats talent that doesn't work hard...

One of the greatest quotes that I found on the MLB site, in one of the articles.  It became my motivational statement back in September of 2016.  My outdoor training facility opened in my backyard, as I annexed the church property.  Cut in a baseball diamond, to determine how well I was hitting the ball off the tee.  Honing of the baseball swing began.


Sean Gallagher - hitting coach, provided some insight to one of his pupils.
The next step was to find a hitting instructor.  Lucky for me, Dave Marvin's kids were coached by Sean Gallagher at the Bull Pen in Farmington Hills MI.  Sean did a tremendous job in breaking down my swing and providing me with the inspiration to improve my swing.  Sean spent many hours with me and provided me with valuable pitching machine time.  I can't begin to thank you for the little lessons you have provided.  I highly recommend you to anyone attempting to improve their batting skills, no matter what age level.  You do a tremendous job relating to your young players as well as your varsity players.  Thanks for allowing me to work out with so many quality kids.  The results in the cage have been tremendous.  Once in Florida, we will see how it translates to game speed.
Last instruction - ready for Florida and FCCS 2017

Never enough work...

Hitting off the tee began in September.  Usually between 4:00 am and 6:00 am.  Anywhere from 20 balls to 120 ball, depending on how much time I could spare before work.  With the very mild winter, I only missed days when there was heavy accumulation of snow.  As the photo below shows, even with a light dusting, I got work in.  Really abused the once nice grass/weeds that were once fertilized into a pristine condition.  

December 5th - early morning

Training facility - after hitting roughly 3,000 balls (April 18th)
 Great things that happened along the journey.  Purchasing a custom bat.  Once I punished bamboo, maple, and ash bats.  The decision was made to purchase a Louisville Slugger ash bat, to my own specifications.  When it arrived it was better than I could have imagined.  I had some issues with the bat.  Just when I though things could not get worse, after a call to Louisville Slugger directly, I was put in touch with Jen Anderson (sp?) who is the Pro Bat Representative.  Has to be one of the greatest jobs on planet.  Jen listened to my predicament and was kind enough to order a replacement bat through the pro bat department.  As the start of the tourney was exactly 3 weeks away, the same amount of time to manufacture a bat, she went above and beyond. Promising to get the bat made, and if needed, ship the bat to Florida.  Talk about customer service.  The bat arrived at my house 1 week earlier than my departure.  I have been able to practice hitting.  The bat is everything advertised and then some.  I can't thank Jen enough for getting me the proper equipment to excel in the batters box.  Thanks again.

So the glove, cleats, uniforms, bats, etc. are all packed ready to make the trip to Tampa.  Practice is at 1:30 pm with the team dinner in the early evening.

For those who will follow along the Pirates schedule is as follows:

Thursday
8:30 am    Pirates       vs    Yankees 2
11:15 am  Dodgers     vs    Pirates

Friday
11:15 am   Pirates       vs    Twins
2:00 pm     Yankees 1 vs    Pirates

Saturday (If we finish in the #1 or #2 seed in pool play)
12:00 pm   Semi-finals  
3:00 pm     Championship

Coming soon, more about the team roster.

No comments:

Post a Comment